This spring I have been working on a Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. It is getting amazingly big but my goal is to get it to queen sized.
We gave our Chevy Caprice away. We got Jimmy when we got married and he has served us well, but it was time to move on. On the way over to drop him off at his new home I tried to make a mental list of all the quirks I needed to tell his new owners:- The passenger door doesn't open from the outside
- The middle front middle seat belt latch has a pull tab stuck inside it and will seem like it is latched but then come unlatched minutes later
- The oil gauge doesn't work so they won't change the oil at Walmart - real places will though
- The fabric lining on the roof is loose and needs to be re-stapled
- The starter has been having problems off and on - just bang on it and it is fine
- One of the windshield wiper blades needs to be replaced
- Keep the car in the garage if you can because the trunk leaks and will get standing water and smelly
- You have to really slam the trunk to get it to latch
- You sometimes have to really play with the key to unlock the trunk once it is latched
- Whatever you do, DO NOT ROLL DOWN THE DRIVER'S SIDE WINDOW! It will fall out/not go back up again
- You have to stick your fingers down into this hole to reach the window controls
- The back passenger side seat belt is jammed and won't pull out
But I forgot to tell them the most important thing:
The gas gauge is off by a quarter tank - you had better stop when you reach a quarter tank because if it starts to hit empty you have one block of fumes left. I hope they don't curse us for our lousy car as they are walking down the side of the road looking for a gas station...
There are some good things about Jimmy though:
- The a/c still works great
- The heating works
- He has real get up and go and can haul anything
- The radio works (although it is hard to hear over all the other noises Jimmy makes at high speeds)
- He still drives which at 216,000 miles, two accidents and major amounts of graham cracker crumbs is saying something.
We hope someone will still drive him - cosmetically he is shot but his engine is still going strong.
We bought a Honda Odyssey, 2003, 101,000 miles, leather seats and those fancy power doors. Love them! I feel all ostentatious and puffed up with pride driving something so nice - well, nice for me. I keep reminding myself that nobody is going to think I am flaunting my tax return wealth with a 7 year old 100,000 mile minivan. :)
Brian finished the chicken coop, sold our extra chicks to people from work and now they are out in the yard enjoying the fresh air. We move the coop everyday - we left it in one spot for two days and it just got a little to worn down. I need to reseed where they have eaten out all of the clover - it looks patchy. The sides lift off and there is a roosting area up there where they sleep. I cleaned it out today. It wan't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It stays dry so I just swept up the droppings and put them in the compost bin. I thought they would be really stuck on but they weren't. We have had TONS of rain recently and it stays nice and dry up there.For the first week or so I would turn around, catch a glimpse of him and laugh because the sight of him in those safety glasses would catch me off guard. By the end of his three week adventure getting glasses I didn't even notice them.
The real reason for the picture is to write about Kate. While Brian was in Hawaii she finally started scooting. She now:
- Scoots everywhere - she did a lap of the house this morning - very impressive
- Will get up on her hands and knees but doesn't know what to do after that
- Wants to eat by herself - cheese, canned carrots, crackers, cottage cheese, beans and sips of water and milk are her favorites
- Can sip from a cup pretty well - not holding it herself
- Sleeps in her own room - still wakes up during the night half of the time
- Can say "hi," "hi, dada," "dada" and "kit-y

8 comments:
I love how the picture highlights the dent that I contributed to the car!
If I had wanted to highlight your dent I would have taken a front view. :)
Your list of things someone should know about your Caprice is almost as long as our list of things to tell someone about the wagon--only it doesn't have the PLUS of a strong engine. It runs on selective cylinders. Oh my! I know what you mean about driving a vehicle that has so many things working and looks nice. I've come to enjoy it!!
Love the way your quilt is turning out. I can see a bit of the blue with the clowns. Love that fabric.
I miss you so much! Your quilt is amazing and I can't believe you're actually getting rid of your old car. Matt's parents are supplying us with a 15 year old Honda that should last us a while until we decide we really want to buy a new(er) car. And, we have totally been thinking about raising chickens in our back yard. I'm having dreams of fresh eggs in the morning and fish caught by Matt and Sam in the evening. Not to mention the occasional ground venison I'm hoping will pop up occasionally. You're such a great example.
Thanks for the blog update on Kate. It feels like so long since I was there. I miss your family so much. Congratulations on the new car. Does it have a name yet?
My car doesn't have an extensive list of quirks yet so I guess she will have to make it a few more years.
FYI here's a few quirks: windshield wipers are posessed. They will go on just fine but don't turn off. They will just stop randomly in the middle of a cycle. When the engine won't turnover, check the battery. Corrosion on the negative terminal will have made it not accept a charge. clean the terminal, get a jump and keep going. Oil leak!!! Add oil each month/week.
Think it can last another 80k?
I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOUR NEW (TO YOU) CAR!!!!!!!!
It can do it!!!
Your list made me remember another quirk - the windshield wipers turn on just fine (only one speed though -fast) but will only turn off once the car has warmed up, usually after 10 minutes. I have often pulled over to the side of the road and turned off the car in order to get the wipers turned off. Things I do not miss...
Oh, I love this post, Leila. Your blog is a treasure. Why aren't we next door neighbors, again??? Our husbands both work for Monsanto . . .
Allen misses his 76 Caprice, but it is safely tucked away at his parents' house, and I know THEY don't want it :).
Those chickens (was that on this post?) are quite possible the cutest thing I've ever seen. I might actually spend $12 on the pattern.
If you guys come to Idaho some time, we'd love to see you.
Post a Comment